Events & Venues on National Land

The National Capital Authority manages the national land within Canberra. NCA approval is required for events and all associated structures at these venues.

For information on a specific event, please contact the event organiser directly.

Click here for further information on Lake and Road Closures, please consult the Saturday edition of the Canberra Times, one week before the event.

Should you wish to access these temporarily closed areas you will need to liaise and agree arrangements with the event organiser.

What to do

  • Download and view the NCA's Event Organiser's Safe Event Guide (Toolkit) in the attachment below
  • For Events within the Parliamentary Vista (Land Axis from Parliament House to the War Memorial), view the NCA's Parliamentary House Vista Heritage Management Plan and prepare to address these issues in your event application.
  • For Lake Based Events, view the Lake Burley Griffin and Adjacent Lands Heritage Management Plan.
  • Select a preferred venue (a co-ordination and/or site meeting may be required).
  • The Old Parliament House Tennis Courts - all booking enquiries for the hire of these tennis courts should be directed to

Event Organiser's Safe Event Guide (toolkit)

The NCA's Event Organiser's Safe Event Guide (Toolkit) provides guidelines for promoters and organisers to assist in the planning and delivery of major events on National Land in accordance with the significant values of the event site and surrounding areas. Please download and view the document (see attachment below).

Register to use National Land

There are no fees associated with registering to use National Land. Event Organisers may be required to provide a bond to cover possible damage to the venue or its surrounds, and commercial events may be charged a license fee.

Private Events

Private events include weddings, birthdays parties, engagement parties, vow renewals and farewells.

Public, Commercial and Government Agency events/functions

Structures and vehicle access - additional approval required

You must obtain Works Approval from the NCA if you require any of the following for your event/function.

  • tents, marquees, sun shelters
  • vehicle access
  • temporary sheds
  • jumping castles, amusement rides (including slides and swings)
  • platforms or stages
  • scaffolding and/or towers for cameras or sound systems
  • signage, flags and banners
  • portable toilets
  • pickets, stakes and fences.

Works Approvals

To obtain approval submit a completed Works Application Form and a map showing the structures'/vehicle placement on the site.

A $110 works approval fee is required before your application will be processed.

Please note:

No structures or vehicles may be erected/placed on site until your application is approved in writing by the National Capital Authority.

Site Inspections

Site inspections are required if the event organiser intends to set up any structures or equipment at the venue. This may involve marking out of irrigation or landscape assessment. Please download the fact sheet attachment below. 

Note: On receipt of you approval letter from NCA you will be advised if a site/irrigation mark out is required for your event. Please note it is the responsibility of the event organiser to arrange this with our contractor, at the event organisers cost.

Risk and Indemnity

  • All events involve some degree of risk.
  • Event organisers will be required to show evidence of appropriate Public Liability insurance and may also be required to prepare a risk management plan.

Things To Note

NCA and ACT Government Land

  • Parliamentary Zone. Major events may also require parliamentary approval. The Parliament House Precinct is managed by the Presiding Officers of the Parliament.
  • Lake Burley Griffin Islands. Islands which can be booked for functions and events are; Aspen Island and Springbank Island. Events or functions on Springbank Island require the event organiser to arrange for their own transport to the island.
  • Lake Burley Griffin. Applications for events on Lake Burley Griffin must be in accordance with the Lake Burley Griffin and Adjacent Lands Draft Heritage Management Plan.
  • ACT Government Land. Several public parks and gardens along the foreshore of Lake Burley Griffin are managed by the ACT Government. Their approval is required to use the land for events. NCA approval is required for associated temporary structures. Contact Access CBR via
    • Weston Park
    • Lennox Gardens incorporating Nara Park
    • Black Mountain Peninsula
    • Grevillea Park
    • Yarralumla Bay
    • Bowen Park


  • Allow sufficient time for the planning and approval process.
  • The NCA endeavours to handle all applications promptly but some applications require consultation with other agencies.
  • Any road closures must be announced to the public via the press at least seven days before the event. These public notices are organised by the NCA.


  • There is no hire fee for the use of national land.
  • A $110 administration fee is charged for works approval for any events involving structures.
  • Event organisers may be required to provide a bond to cover possible damage to the venue or its surrounds.
  • Commercial Events may be charged a license fee or bond.
  • Deposits are required for the loan of any NCA keys for gates, power and flag poles.
  • An irrigation mark out may be required for a works approval, it is the responsibility of the event organiser to arrange this with our contractor, at the event organisers cost

Power Access

Most venues have power outlets. See List of Power Outlets - PDF version | RTF version

A $25 deposit is required for the loan of any NCA keys for power use.

Waste Management

Event organisers are responsible for the cleanliness of the area during the event, as well as for clean-up afterwards. All venues must be left clean and tidy. If the waste management facilities are insufficient at your chosen site, additional facilities must be provided at the event organiser’s expense.

Other approvals which may be required for your event.

  • Music License: Any corporte, public (Excluding Weddings, Engagement Parties, Birthday Parties etc) or commercial event on national land that incorporates the playing of music must obtain a licence from the Australasian Performing Right Association and the Phonographic Company of Australia prior to completing an application form or approval will not be granted.
  • Environmental Protection Agency—for outdoor events involving amplified music in a venue capable of holding 2,000 people or more.
  • ACT Government agencies—for traffic management plans, liquor licensing, sale of goods, engineering safety, fireworks and public safety.

It is the event organiser's responsibility to obtain any other approvals required to stage an event.


The conduct of protests is covered in a separate Authority publication The Right to Protest—A Guide.

Designated Areas and NCA National Land Map

Lake Burley Griffin Zones

  • Contact us
  • Freedom of Information
  • Disclaimer
  • Accessibility
  • Privacy
  • Copyright

Contact us

Your feedback is always welcome.

  • Would you like to make a comment on projects under consultation?
  • Do you require information not currently available on this site?
  • Were you able to find what you were looking for?
  • Anything else you would like to see?

Send us your comments so we can ensure the site meets your needs.

Send us your comments

Pay Parking

Report a Fault, Ask for a Refund or obtain more information on Parking Infringements.

Pay Parking Enquiries

Agency Plan to Information Publication Scheme

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (FOI Act) extends the right of every person to access information in the possession of the Government of the Commonwealth.

Read More

Disclosure Log

The Disclosure Log lists information which has been released in response to a Freedom of Information (FOI) access request.

Read More

Freedom of Information Contact Officer

GPO Box 373, CANBERRA ACT 2601 or email to -


While we make every effort to ensure that the material on this site is accurate and up-to-date when we publish it, you should exercise your own independent skill and judgement before you rely on it. In any important matter, you should seek professional advice relevant to your own circumstances. The listing of a person or organisation in any part of this web site does not imply any form of endorsement by the Australian Government of the products or services provided by that person or organisation. Similarly, links to other web sites have been inserted for your convenience and do not constitute endorsement of material at those sites, or any associated organisation, product or service. Please note that some material on this site includes views or recommendations of third parties, which do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government, or indicate its commitment to particular course of action. The Australian Government cannot verify the accuracy of information that has been provided by third parties.

Standards Compliance

The NCA's website aims to conform to Double A compliance of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2 (WCAG 2.0), developed by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). As much of this website's content is dynamic or community generated, some content may not always be accessible to the Double A level.

Read More


This website is designed for use in modern web browsers and mobile devices and it is not guaranteed to function correctly in older web browsers.

Read More

Further Accessibility difficulties

The NCA's website is the work of many authors and a dynamic environment. There is always the possibility that accessibility difficulties may be encountered. If you experience any issues please email or call us 6271 2888.


The NCA collects personal information (including sensitive information) from you or your authorised representative when we are handling an application from you, enquiry or complaint from you or taking regulatory action under the Australian Capital Territory (Planning and Land Management) Act 1988.

Read More


© Commonwealth of Australia 2014This work is copyright. You may download, display, print and reproduce this material in unaltered form only (retaining this notice) for your personal, non-commercial use or use within your organisation. Apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, all other rights are reserved. Requests and inquiries concerning reproduction and rights should be addressed to Commonwealth Copyright Administration, Attorney General's Department, Robert Garran Offices, National Circuit, Barton ACT 2600 or posted on the on the Attorney-General's department website.

Commonwealth Copyright Statement