The period for public comment on Draft Amendment 86 has closed. Information regarding the Draft Amendment is available below for information purposes only. The NCA thanks you for your interest in the National Capital Plan.
The National Capital Plan
The National Capital Plan (the Plan) is the strategy and blueprint giving effect to the Commonwealth's interests and intentions for planning, designing and developing Canberra and the Territory. The National Capital Authority (NCA) is responsible for administering the National Capital Plan for the Australian Government.
National Capital Plan Review
The NCA is undertaking a reform process to update the Plan and to amend the planning arrangements between the Australian and ACT Governments. The Plan has not been holistically reviewed since it came into effect in 1990. The Plan reform work is intended to:
- Revise and modernise the National Capital Plan.
- Change to metropolitan planning arrangements to provide greater flexibility to the ACT Government to accommodate the growth of Canberra.
- Reduce duplication and complexity in planning for a substantial portion of Territory Land by removing Special Requirements that currently apply.
- Adjustment those areas identified as having the special characteristics of the National Capital (Designated Areas).
Draft Amendment 86 - Revised National Capital Plan
On 5 June 2015, the NCA released an Exposure Draft of the revised Plan for public consultation. The NCA prepared the Exposure Draft of the Plan to enable discussions with stakeholders regarding proposed changes to the Plan outside statutory processes.
The NCA has prepared a Consultation Report summarising the process undertaken and the key issues raised during consultation on the Exposure Draft of the Plan.
On 2 October, the NCA commenced the statutory process to implement the proposed changes to the Plan and has proposed 'Draft Amendment 86 - Revised National Capital Plan' (DA86).
A series of changes were made to the revised Plan, which are incorporated into Draft Amendment 86, in response to public feedback on the Exposure Draft.
- Click here to view the Draft National Capital Plan as proposed by Draft Amendment 86
- Click here to view the changes proposed to the Plan following public consultation on the Exposure Draft
- Click here to view the the National Capital Plan Exposure Draft Consultation Report
- Click here to view the National Capital Plan Exposure Draft
Register your interest
Click here to register for regular updates on the draft amendment process. Those who have previously registered to receive updates on the Exposure Draft of the Plan do not need to register again.